Friday, October 21, 2011

Week 6 of Life with Emily

6 weeks?! Time is flying by and my baby girl is getting so big and doing so many cute new things. She now weighs around 12 pounds, is in 3 month clothes and is smiling and giggling everyday. I love being able to make her smile....it's like she knows I am hers and she is mine. I love talking to her and her being able to focus and know it's me. Ahh, I love being a mommy!

This week she has really started to make more noises. She is stretching her feedings out to 2.5-3 hours and yesterday she stretched them all out to 3 hours!! She is consistantly sleeping a 4.5-6 hour stretch at night, then a 2-2.5 hour stretch, then she is normally up at 7-8 with her tummy problems. I get her out of bed and I do bicycle kicks with her legs and put her toes to her nose and that helps get the gas out. Then we go back to sleep and snuggle for awhile. She is a late sleeper like mommy, and we normally get out of bed around 11-12 :)

We took her first trip to New Braunfels this past week. She was a little fussy, but it's because she didn't get good naps in. My mom kept her while Danny and I went to the UT game....it was fun!!

Have I mentioned how great my mom is today?! She is still teaching me things everyday. While we were there, she kept Emmy one night and told Danny and I to go out to dinner. When we left, my mom was rocking a sleeping Emmy. When we got back, my mom was still in the same spot and had been rocking her for three hours! I said, "MOM! You could have put her in her bed. You didn't have to sit there the whole time!" She said, "No! I love rocking her!" It was then I realized how special that time is. When I rock her, all I can think of is getting her to sleep fast so I can put her down and go clean the house, do laundry, pay bills, etc. It was through my mom that I learned a valuable lesson.....Emily won't be this small forever. I won't get to rock her forever. She won't need me forever. Everything else can wait. So yesterday, I rocked her and she slept on me for two hours and it was wonderful :) I enjoyed every minute. So thank you, mom, for letting me learn from you, I love you!

I'll leave you with a poem that I love:

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton


No comments:

Post a Comment