Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Charting part 1

Our trying to conceive (or TTC) journey was 7 months of excitement, devastation, worry, tears, joy and full of many ‘why is this not working’ moments. It was a roller coaster of emotions to say the least. When you are at the point in your life when you want something so badly, and it doesn’t happen as easy as you thought, it’s a rough road. Looking back now, even through all of the heartbreaks of failed cycles, I am thankful for our journey. I know now that we were meant to go down that road to bring Danny and I closer, and bring us closer to God. I also believe that everyone’s journey that God gives them is also an opportunity to help others. I want to help others understand their bodies, understand how to chart, and help them get through what could be a very emotional time. I’ve been there, I know how it feels and if there’s anything I can do with my knowledge of how this process works, I want to use it. This post is going to be VERY personal and I’m willing to put it out there…..so just want to warn you! With that said…..here is our journey…..

Danny and I started trying to conceive May of 2010. The first two cycles I was completely ignorant and did not understand my cycles, ovulation, or how any of it worked. I was under the assumption that if you had sex, you got pregnant. Wrong! Took me two cycles of this to realize maybe there is something more to it. Now, if you are a high school kid, erase what I said above, and yes, every time you have sex you will get pregnant….don’t do it! ;) Anyways, after cycle two, I started doing some research. I came across a wonderful website called www.FertilityFriend.com. This site is SO valuable and is the reason I’m pregnant right now. They talked on there about a typical cycle, and how during your cycle, you literally only have a few days max to actually get pregnant. What?! No one told me this back in high school! ;) Then next they talked about charting and with charting your cycles, you can maximize the chance you have at catching your ovulation, having sex during your “fertile window” of those few days, and therefore getting pregnant. Now, this is what I was looking for…..a road map to show me how to get pregnant, yes!! On FF.com they have a wonderful breakdown of literally how to chart and I would highly recommend watching it. Ok, let's get started!


Breaking down your cycle

Let’s start with the basics. A typical cycle is 30 days….but who’s typical, right? Everyone’s length of cycle is going to be different. Your cycle length starts at day one of your period, and ends the day before your next period. My average cycle length was 43 days…..yup, a month and a half. Now this is considered long, but not long enough to hinder me from getting pregnant. If your cycle is over 60 days, I would advise to go see a Dr. and see what he can give you to shorten it and see what is wrong. Ok, the first part of your cycle is called menses or your period which is in the red area on the chart. (I’ll get to what the lines/dots/letters mean on the next section.) The next phase is called the follicular phase or “waiting to O (ovulate)” phase. During this time, your ovaries are gearing up to release a mature egg to be fertilized. This phase length can and will change from month to month….and that is completely normal. Then Ovulation happens and what that means is your ovaries release a mature egg (or two!) and it literally “lives” for 24 hours, so in that 24 hours if it is not fertilized by a sperm, your uterine lining will shed (your period) and everything will start all over next cycle. After you ovulate, you are now in the Luteal Phase of your cycle or what charters call the “Two week window.” During this time, if your egg has been fertilized, it will travel down your fallopian tubes to your uterus and implant there. This phase length normally does not change from month to month given a day or two. A good luteal phase length is 10-16 days. Anything shorter can hurt your chances of getting pregnant because your body needs around 10-16 days for conception to occur and time to get the little zygote to your uterus before your period starts. DPO on the chart stands for Days Past Ovulation. If your egg did not get fertilized, your period will start and this is called Cycle Day 1 or CD1. Are ya still with me out there?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment